Welcome to ACARD
ACARD (Automated Claims and Medical Record Databases) is a core in the Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics (CCEB) created to foster epidemiologic research into therapeutics, using large population-based automated claims databases (Medicaid/Medicare) and medical records databases (GPRD™ and THIN), and an adverse event reporting system (AERS) database.
- Encourage investigators with diverse training to conduct studies focused on translational therapeutics and drug safety
- Provide access to large databases that allow for rapid and cost-effective research on therapeutics and drug safety
- Foster collaboration with CTSA sites outside of Penn who wish to use these databases for clinical research
- Provide consultation during planning stages and during the conduct of their research;
- Assist investigators with preliminary feasibility queries (e.g., obtaining frequency counts of patients with a given disease or medication exposure);
- Assist investigators in applying for data use agreements where necessary;
- Assist applicants in writing research proposals to make sure the study is informed by in-depth understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of each data resource
- Provides access to the needed hardware and software in an environment supported by expert faculty supervision.
- Provide access to a library of statistical and programming resources for executing studies within the available electronic databases
Databases currently available through ACARD:
- ACARD Databases »
- General Practice Research Database » (GPRD™)
- The Health Improvement Network » (THIN)
- Adverse Event Reporting System (AERS) database (pdf)
New Databases to Be Added:
- National- Medicare Part D
- SEER-Medicare Data
Funding opportunities:ACARD has created two funding opportunities.
- One is a low-cost mechanism for investigators with appropriate experience with large databases and statistical software to conduct population-level research.
- For investigators with less experience, ACARD offers research grants and more intensive technical support to help with data management, data analysis, and manuscript preparation.
- Overall leadership - Brian Strom
- GPRD™, THIN, Funding Opportunities - James Lewis
- Medicaid/Medicare - , AERS - Sean Hennessy