Education & Training
The Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics (ITMAT) offers educational programs at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, organizes an annual international symposium, seminar series, and various workshops focusing on emerging topics in translational research.
The ITMAT/CTSA Educational Programs are directed by Emma Meagher, MD and are designed to recruit, train, and nurture a new cadre of professionals with defined expertise in clinical and translational methodology.
The Education Program has three components:
1. Undergraduate Training
- To stimulate the awareness and interests of college/university undergraduates in health sciences and translational research;
- To mentor the career development of undergraduates in clinical and translational research;
- To facilitate the recruitment of undergraduates into Penn and other prominent postgraduate medical translational research training programs.
2. Predoctoral Training
- To recruit, train, and mentor highly talented and motivated graduate students in Penn's premier health sciences schools (Medicine, Nursing, Dental Medicine and Veterinary Medicine) in clinical and translational research (both a combined MTR degree program or a certification program).
- To recruit, train, and mentor highly talented and motivated graduate PhD students from Penn's integrated Biomedical Graduate Studies (BGS) program in clinical and translational research (certification program – CTR).
3. Fellow and Faculty Training
- To develop an integrated program at Penn to recruit, train, and mentor highly talented and motivated clinical residents, fellows, and faculty in Penn's premier health sciences schools (Medicine, Nursing, Dental Medicine and Veterinary Medicine) to function as either team participant (certification program) or leaders in clinical and translational research (MTR or MSCE degree program);
- To expose post-doctoral research fellows, from Penn's integrated Biomedical Postdoctoral Programs (BPP) to clinical and translational research.
- Introduction to Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR)
- The Certificate Program in Translational Research (CTR)
- Masters in Translational Research (MTR)
- Masters in Regulatory Affairs (MRA)
- Masters in Regulatory Science (MSRS)
- Undergraduate Program
Funding for Educational Programs:
Other Penn based translational research programs:
ITMAT Education Leadership
Director: Emma Meagher, MD
Director, Undergraduate Programs: David Manning, PhD
Administrative Director: Rachel Bastian
Office Location: 8033 Maloney, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St., Philadelphia PA 19104
Phone: 215-614-1835 | Email: ITMATEd@mail.med.upenn.edu