Education & Training
The Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics (ITMAT) offers educational programs at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, organizes an annual international symposium, seminar series, and various workshops focusing on emerging topics in translational research.
The ITMAT/CTSA Educational Programs are directed by Emma Meagher, MD and are designed to recruit, train, and nurture a new cadre of professionals with defined expertise in clinical and translational methodology.
The Education Program has three components:
- Undergraduate Training Program
2. Predoctoral Training
- To recruit, train, and mentor highly talented and motivated graduate students in Penn's premier health sciences schools (Medicine, Nursing, Dental Medicine and Veterinary Medicine) in clinical and translational research (both a combined MTR degree program or a certification program).
- To recruit, train, and mentor highly talented and motivated graduate PhD students from Penn's integrated Biomedical Graduate Studies (BGS) program in clinical and translational research (certification program – CTR).
Students in this training program are eligible for funding via the TL1 component of the CTSA.
3. Fellow and Faculty Training
- To develop an integrated program at Penn to recruit, train, and mentor highly talented and motivated clinical residents, fellows, and faculty in Penn's premier health sciences schools (Medicine, Nursing, Dental Medicine and Veterinary Medicine) to function as either team participant (certification program) or leaders in clinical and translational research (MTR or MSCE degree program);
- To expose post-doctoral research fellows, from Penn's integrated Biomedical Postdoctoral Programs (BPP) to clinical and translational research.
Fellows and Faculty in this training program are eligible for funding via the KL2 component of the CTSA and ITMAT Scholarship.
- Introduction to Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR)
- The Certificate Program in Translational Research (CTR)
- Masters in Translational Research (MTR)
- Masters in Regulatory Affairs (MRA)
- Masters in Regulatory Science (MSRS)
- Undergraduate Program
Funding for Educational Programs:
Other Penn based translational research programs:
- Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program
- HHMI and NIBIB PhD Program in Biomedical Imaging and Information Science
Director: Emma Meagher, MD
Assistant Director: Elizabeth Hexner, MD, MTR
Director, Undergraduate Programs: David Manning, PhD
Administrative Director: Rachel Bastian
Coordinators: Marti Dandridge, Megan Maxwell
Office Location: 8033 Maloney, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St., Philadelphia PA 19104
Phone: 215-349-8627 | Email: ITMATEd@mail.med.upenn.edu