CTSA KL2 - Request for Applications
The application period for 2013-2014 is now closed.
We are pleased to announce a request for applications from post-doctoral students, senior fellows, and junior faculty in the first 2 years of their faculty appointment in the Dental, Medical, Nursing and Veterinary Schools who are interested in securing a training slot in the CTSA KL2 Mentored Career Development Program in Clinical and Translational Science. The program is directed towards providing formal didactic training and protected time for research trainees who’s clinical and translational research is focused on the elucidation of mechanistic and therapeutic aspects of disease process and research focused on bridging pediatric and adult medicine.
Accepted students will be expected to enroll in a formal research training program relevant to their research endeavor (Master of Science in Translational Research or Epidemiology).
Appointment of trainees will begin July 1, 2013. The award will provide salary support to provide 80% protected time up to a maximum of $90,000 per year for up to 2 years. Applicants must be US citizens or have permanent resident status.
Applicants should submit an application package that includes the following:
- Current CV
- A one page description of the career goals that includes a description of your education plan and how the MTR or MSCE degree meets your educational objectives;
- A 2-3 page description of the research plan of the applicant;
- Any other external support for the candidate’s salary or research program;
- NIH biosketch and other support from the proposed mentor(s);
- Three letters of support - these should be supplied by the applicant's mentor(s), his/her division chief and /or department chair.
Mentor(s) letter of support should address the following:
- The mentoring plan for the trainee detailing the commitment to mentor the candidate.
- The suitability of the trainee's education plan for stated career goals.
- The feasibility and relevance of stated area of research to be undertaken during the fellowship.
- The resources available to complete the research.
- The availability of collaborative relationships that may be required to undertake the research question.
- Prior experience mentoring in the CTSA KL2 program and/or mentoring translational research trainees.
Division Chief/ Dept Chair letters of support should address the following:
- Prior experience with trainees in the CTSA KL2 program and/or translational research trainees.
- Commitment of the division/department to the trainee, his/her research direction and his/her career goals.
- Guarantee of protected time for the trainee.
- Availability of resources for the mentor and mentee.
- The relevance of the research to the department/division research goals.
Please email documents #1-5 directly to Marti Dandridge (email@example.com) by November 5, 2012.
Letters of support should emailed directly to Marti Dandridge (firstname.lastname@example.org) by November 5, 2012.
Further information on the MSCE program can be obtained at http://www.cceb.med.upenn.edu/education/epi-degree/msce.php
Further information on the MTR program can be obtained at http://www.itmat.upenn.edu/ctsa/mtr/