CTSA KL2 Mentored Career Development Award
*The application cycle for appointments beginning in 2014 has closed*
We are pleased to announce a request for applications for the ITMAT Scholarship Program and the CTSA KL2 Mentored Career Development Program in Clinical and Translational Science offered by the Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics.
Positions are open to residents, post-doctoral students, fellows, and junior faculty (in the first 2 years of their faculty appointment) in the Dental, Medical, Nursing and Veterinary Schools. The goals of both programs are to support early career investigators while they engage in a T1 research project and complete the Masters of Science in Translational Research (MTR).
Both programs support formal didactic training and/or protected time for research trainees whose clinical and translational research is focused on the elucidation of mechanistic and therapeutic aspects of disease process.
Appointment of trainees will be from July 1, 2014. Successful applicants may be awarded salary support (up to 80% effort capped at $90,000) and/or tuition support. Applicants to the KL2 award must be US citizens or have permanent resident status.
Applicants should submit an application package that includes the following items:
- Online MTR application which includes the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal statement: a one page description of the career goals that includes a description of your education plan and how the MTR degree meets your educational objectives
- Research plan: 2-3 page description of proposed research project
- Any other external support for the applicant’s salary or research program
- NIH biosketch for primary mentor
- Other support for primary mentor
- $45 Application fee (mailed to Marti Dandridge, 8033 Maloney Building, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia PA 19104)
- More info: http://www.itmat.upenn.edu/ctsa/mtr/application.shtml
- Three letters of support from faculty members:
- Letters should be supplied by the applicant’s mentor(s), his/her division chief and /or department chair
- Referee form
- Letters should follow guidelines listed below
- Email to email@example.com
We ask that the Mentor(s) letter of support address the following:
- The mentoring plan for the trainee detailing the commitment to mentor the candidate.
- The suitability of the trainee's education plan for stated career goals.
- The feasibility and relevance of stated area of research to be undertaken during the fellowship.
- The resources available to complete the research.
- The availability of collaborative relationships that may be required to undertake the research question.
- Prior experience mentoring in the ITMAT Scholar / CTSA KL2 program, and / or mentoring translational research trainees.
We ask that the Division Chief/ Dept Chair letters of support address the following points:
- Prior experience with trainees in the ITMAT Scholar / CTSA KL2 program and/or translational research.
- Commitment of the division/department to the trainee, his/her research direction and his/her career goals.
- Guarantee of 80% protected time for the trainee.
- Availability of resources for the mentor and mentee.
- The relevance of the research to the department/division research goals.
Faculty should email their letters of support directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
by November 15, 2013
Incomplete applications will not be considered
If you have any questions, please contact:
Program Coordinator, Marti Dandridge email@example.com
Program Director, Emma Meagher, MD firstname.lastname@example.org