Master of Science in Regulatory Science
Only one application is required for both the MSRS and ITMAT Funding.
- Entrants must have MD, PhD, MSN, VMD, or DMD level degree
- Entrants must enroll as full-time students and Penn staff are not eligible to apply unless 80% of their time is protected
Interested applicants are encouraged to contact us before beginning their application.
The Online MSRS Program Application requires the following items:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal statement: a one page description of the career goals that includes a description of how the MSRS degree meets your educational objectives
- Research plan: 2-3 page description of proposed research project
- External support for the applicant's salary or research program awarded or under review
- Please specify if you prefer to be considered for a specific funding mechanism: TL1, KL2, or ITMAT Scholarship
- Primary Mentor NIH biosketch and other support
- Three letters of support from the applicant's:
- Primary mentor (send them the guidelines below)
- Secondary/co-mentor if applicable, or faculty member who can speak to your suitability for the MSRS program and/or experience in research
- Third faculty member
- For KL2 applicants, this must be your division chief and/or department chair (send them the guidelines below)
- For all other postdoctoral applicants, choose another faculty member who can speak to your suitability for the MSRS program and/or experience in research
- Application Fee: $45 by credit card via CollegeNet
Creating a CollegeNet Account
- Create a CollegeNet account. After logging into CollegeNet, select “Online Application”.
- Enter your Personal Information. Save and continue to Program Information.
- Choose “Perelman School of Medicine Masters Programs”
- Select: “Regulatory Science, MS”
- Select "Summer 2018" term.
- You can enter information in stages, at your own pace, and access the application any number of times until submission.
- Once the application has been fully submitted, check the status and note the receipt of recommendation letters.
Please note that the letters of support have specific guidelines:
Primary Mentor Letter Guidelines
The Mentor(s) letter of support should address the following:
- The commitment to mentor the candidate
- The suitability of the trainee's education objectives for stated career goals
- The feasibility and relevance of stated area of research to be undertaken during the program to include:
- The resources available to complete the research
- The availability of collaborative relationships that may be required to undertake the research question
- Mentor's prior experience mentoring in ITMAT programs and/or mentoring translational research trainees
Division Chief/Department Chair (KL2 ONLY)
The Division Chief or Department Chair letter of support should address the following:
- Commitment of the division/department to the scholar, his/her research direction and his/her career goals
- Guarantee of 80% protected time for the scholar
- Other funding available to the applicant - include # of years of support available (K12, dept support, etc) and please be specific
- Availability of resources for the mentor and scholar
- The relevance of the research to the department/division research goals
- Prior experience with trainees in ITMAT programs and/or translational research
Applications received after the deadline or incomplete applications will not be considered.
The University of Pennsylvania values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. The University of Pennsylvania does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected class status in the administration of its admissions, financial aid, educational or athletic programs, or other University-administered programs or in its employment practices. Questions or complaints regarding this policy should be directed to the Executive Director of the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Programs, Sansom Place East, 3600 Chestnut Street, Suite 228, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6106; or 215-898-6993 (Voice) or 215-898-7803 (TDD). Specific questions concerning the accommodation of students with disabilities should be directed to the Office of Student Disabilities Services located at the Learning Resources Center, 3820 Locust Walk, Harnwell College House, Suite 110, 215-573-9235 (voice) or 215-746-6320(TDD).
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act
The federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, as amended, requires colleges and universities to provide information related to security policies and procedures and specific statistics for criminal incidents, arrests, and disciplinary referrals to students and employees, and to make the information and statistics available to prospective students and employees upon request. The Campus SaVE Act of 2013 expanded these requirements to include information on and resources related to crimes of interpersonal violence, including dating violence, domestic violence, stalking and sexual assault. Federal law also requires institutions with on-campus housing to share an annual fire report with the campus community.
In addition, the Uniform Crime Reporting Act requires Pennsylvania colleges and universities to provide information related to security policies and procedures to students, employees and applicants; to provide certain crime statistics to students and employees; and to make those statistics available to applicants and prospective employees upon request.
To review the University’s most recent annual report containing this information, please visit: https://www.publicsafety.upenn.edu/clery/annual-security-fire-safety-report/ or http://www.upenn.edu/almanac/crimes-index.html.
You may request a paper copy of the report by calling the Office of the Vice President for Public Safety and Superintendent of Penn Police at 215-898-7515 or by emailing email@example.com.